Decided I need some kind of structure around my training - firstly because there's so many kms that need to be run before the big day and secondly because I've never been a 'wing it' kinda gal - it always ends in frustration and a poor result; no thanks!
That's said, going into this marathon I knew that if I attempted one of those strict 'you must do this on a Monday' type of programmes that I'd give up after missing one session and write the whole thing off as a failure. So basically I decided that the best way for me to begin would be to write my own plan and then adjust it the closer I get to the race..
To be honest I also find the programmes I read about online to be a little intimidating. I've been running my whole life but articles about 'speed sessions are essential marathon training' or 'you need to run in a group' or 'you need to do interval training' feel like they're just over complicating things. Who knows, maybe after I've crashed and burned attempting this marathon I'll think differently? For now it just seems to make sense to try to build up my kms each week as well as incorporating some time cross training at the gym. Is that over-simplifying it?
Here's what I've come up with:
Monday: Cardio at the gym
Tuesday: Short run (up to 10km)
Wednesday: Mid-week long run
Thursday: Weights at the gym
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long or Medium run
Sunday: Long or Medium run (whichever one not done on Saturday).
So there it is. Simple and 4 runs a week. This week was the first full week of my training and aside from skipping the weights on Thursday (was too tired from the Wednesday run) I've been right on track and feeling pretty good.
Fingers crossed I can keep it up!
No comments:
Post a Comment