Wednesday, 1 January 2014

New year - full of good intentions...

Days til race: 101

In October 2013 My Dad and friend Rhi both ran the Melbourne Marathon.  I ran the 10km event and after puffing my way round the course in a pedestrian 53mins I felt little qualified to join in the running conversation when we went out for lunch afterwards.  Deciding that it'd been on my "one day" list long enough I bit the bullet and entered the Canberra Marathon.

That was the easy bit and with 5 months til the starter's gun would be fired it was easy to imagine that I'd get all the training done, have reached my goal race-weight and be completely mentally prepared for the event.  But have I bitten off more than I can chew?

January 1st has rolled around and I'm faced with the reality that this year will be the one that I'm attempting to run my first marathon; not some far off "next year" event but now. This year. Staring me right in the face and ironically I can't run from it any more.  The excesses of the festive period behind me I've run out of delay time and must begin the journey - or else face the consequences (namely 5 plus hours of pain and humiliation).

So - to begin...

A few weeks ago I set out a list of New Year Goals/Resolutions that I'd follow to assist my on my path to marathon running.  They are:

1. No alcohol  - except for Australia Day (26.01), My best friend's wedding (15.02), Labour Day weekend (08.03) and when I catch up with my friend Pete to ask him how the hell one is supposed to train to run a marathon.

2.  Up until the race:
 - fried food only once a week
 - eat proper dinners (not toasted cheese sandwich meals)
 - no red bull, bbq shapes, crisps or savoy biscuits

Will pause here as my mind has become distracted thinking about how much I love savoy biscuits and whether I should in fact strike that item from the list as I love them so much... No - they're still banned.

Right, where were we before my dry biscuit diversion?

3. Drink 2 litres of water/day

4. Commit to my training programme (4 x runs a week minimum)

5. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

Does any of this actually translate to me getting out there and doing the training? I hope so. 42km is a long way if I'm 10kg heaver thanks to a summer of beer and bread as my sole diet.

I probably should have gone for a long run today so I'd have something to good start the year with, but tiredness from New Year's Eve and incessant rain has meant that this is more of a 'mental preparation day'.

So time to charge up my garmin, work out an actual training plan and actually take the first step out the door and begin my training!

No comments:

Post a Comment